Science News INDEPENDENT JOURNALISM SINCE 1921
- COVID-19 infections can rebound for some people. It’s unclear whyby Erin Garcia de Jesús on August 12, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Rebounding COVID-19 isn’t limited to Paxlovid patients. An infection can come back even for people not given the drug.
- 50 years ago, scientists hoped freezing donor organs would boost transplantsby Asa Stahl on August 12, 2022 at 1:00 pm
In the 1970s, biologists hoped to freeze organs so more could last long enough to be transplanted. Scientists are now starting to manage this feat.
- These researchers are unlocking Renaissance beauty secretsby Rina Diane Caballar on August 12, 2022 at 11:00 am
An art historian has teamed up with chemists to uncover the science behind cosmetics used around 500 years ago.
- Why humans have more voice control than any other primatesby Asa Stahl on August 11, 2022 at 6:13 pm
Unlike all other studied primates, humans lack vocal membranes. That lets humans produce the sounds that language is built on, a new study suggests.
- The Arctic is warming even faster than scientists realizedby Carolyn Gramling on August 11, 2022 at 3:00 pm
The Arctic isn’t just heating up two to three times as quickly as the rest of the planet. New analyses show that warming is almost four times as fast.
- The Arctic Is Warming Four Times Faster Than the Rest of the Planetby Chelsea Harvey, E&E News on August 12, 2022 at 5:00 pm
One study after another is coming to the same conclusion: the Arctic is heating up much faster than earlier research suggested
- What Scientists Say about the Historic Climate Billby Andrea Thompson on August 12, 2022 at 2:45 pm
Climate experts praise the Inflation Reduction Act for focusing on emissions, clean energy and environmental justice but caution that much work remains
- Researchers Created a Potion That Turns Loud Lions into Placid Pussycatsby Karen Hopkin on August 12, 2022 at 1:00 pm
A single whiff of oxytocin, a chemical that some call the “love hormone,” promotes tolerance among lions at a wildlife sanctuary.
- Telehealth Is Key to Trans Health Careby Dallas Ducar, Scott Hadland on August 12, 2022 at 11:30 am
Offering mental health services across state lines can aid children and families struggling to find gender-affirming services
- Newfound Brain Switch Labels Experiences as Good or Badby Ingrid Wickelgren on August 12, 2022 at 10:45 am
A molecule tells the brain whether to put a positive or negative spin on events. Mental disorders may result when the up/down labeling goes awry