- Live Updates: Moscow Pessimistic U.S. Will Meet Demands; Shooting at Ukraine Rocket Factory Raises Tensionsby The New York Times on January 27, 2022 at 2:16 pm
There was no immediate sign of a connection between the deadly shooting and Russia’s military buildup. After the U.S. responded in writing to Russian demands surrounding Ukraine, the Kremlin said there was “not much cause for optimism” that its terms would be met.
- How Putin Is Using Russia’s Military as a Tool for Foreign Policyby Anton Troianovski, Michael Schwirtz and Andrew E. Kramer on January 27, 2022 at 2:03 pm
A significantly upgraded military has emerged as a key tool of Vladimir Putin’s foreign policy, as he flexes his might around the globe and, most ominously, on the Ukraine border.
- The Ending of 'Fight Club' Was Censored in Chinaby Mike Ives on January 27, 2022 at 2:02 pm
The 1999 cult classic starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton is not the only foreign film to be altered for audiences in mainland China.
- Your Thursday Briefingby Natasha Frost on January 27, 2022 at 1:30 pm
Diplomatic attempts to resolve the situation with Russia.
- U.S.-Backed Forces Clash With ISIS Fighters at Syrian Prisonby Jane Arraf on January 27, 2022 at 1:27 pm
Kurdish-led forces said that up to 90 ISIS fighters were still holed up in the prison in Hasaka in northeastern Syria, despite earlier claims that they had retaken full control of the complex.
FactCheck.org A Project of The Annenberg Public Policy Center
- DeSantis Misleads on Omicron-Resistant COVID-19 Antibody Treatmentsby Jessica McDonald on January 26, 2022 at 11:01 pm
After the Food and Drug Administration pulled its authorization of two COVID-19 antibody drugs because the treatments are highly unlikely to work against the omicron variant, Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida misleadingly claimed the decision had been made “without a shred of clinical data” to support it. There may not be data from patients, but lab studies strongly suggest the treatments will not help omicron-infected people. The post DeSantis Misleads on Omicron-Resistant COVID-19 Antibody Treatments appeared first on FactCheck.org.
- Trump on ‘Race-Based Medicine’ for COVID-19by Robert Farley on January 25, 2022 at 10:00 pm
At a rally in Arizona on Jan. 15, former President Donald Trump waded into the debate over state policies allowing health systems to consider race as a risk factor when prioritizing the allocation of limited supplies of some COVID-19 therapeutics. According to Trump, it translates to white people being denied life-saving medicines and vaccines. The post Trump on ‘Race-Based Medicine’ for COVID-19 appeared first on FactCheck.org.
- Ted Nugent Posts Fake Headline, Claim About Sotomayor’s Healthby Brea Jones on January 21, 2022 at 10:17 pm
Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who as a diabetic is at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19, has participated remotely in recent Supreme Court arguments. But Ted Nugent posted a bogus headline on Facebook -- using a CNBC logo and byline -- with the unfounded claim that Sotomayor tested positive for the disease. A CNBC spokesperson said the outlet didn't publish it. The post Ted Nugent Posts Fake Headline, Claim About Sotomayor’s Health appeared first on FactCheck.org.
- FactChecking Biden’s Press Conferenceby Jessica McDonald on January 21, 2022 at 12:30 am
In a nearly two-hour press conference, President Joe Biden stretched the facts and left out important context on vaccinations, funding for lead pipe removal, child poverty and more. The post FactChecking Biden’s Press Conference appeared first on FactCheck.org.
- Biden’s Numbersby D'Angelo Gore on January 20, 2022 at 1:00 pm
Statistical measures of the president’s term to date. The post Biden’s Numbers appeared first on FactCheck.org.