- New Zealand Voters Approve Euthanasia but Reject Legal Cannabis in Referendumby Yan Zhuang on October 31, 2020 at 2:14 am
Proponents of legalizing cannabis voiced anger at Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, who revealed only after the referendum that she supported it.
- In Turkey, a Frantic Rescue Effort After a Deadly Earthquakeby Megan Specia and Matina Stevis-Gridneff on October 31, 2020 at 1:41 am
The quake, centered in the Aegean, killed at least 24 people in Turkey and two in Greece. Ten hours after it struck, rescue workers were still pulling people from rubble in the Turkish city of Izmir.
- U.S. Says Virus Can’t be Controlled. China Aims to Prove It Wrong.by Javier C. Hernández on October 31, 2020 at 12:41 am
China’s approach to keep Covid-19 at bay has helped restore confidence and allowed businesses to reopen. But it is a strategy steeped in authoritarianism.
- Poland’s Abortion Ban Spurs Largest Protests in Decadesby Anatol Magdziarz and Marc Santora on October 30, 2020 at 11:00 pm
Outraged by a court decision to ban nearly all abortions, tens of thousands of women took to the streets of Poland’s capital on Friday, culminating a week of big protests across the country.
- France’s Hardening Defense of Cartoons of Muhammad Could Lead to ‘A Trap’by Norimitsu Onishi and Constant Méheut on October 30, 2020 at 10:52 pm
Once denounced by French leaders, the images are now defended across the political spectrum, widening a divide with Muslim nations and leaving many French Muslims alienated.
FactCheck.org A Project of The Annenberg Public Policy Center
- Trump’s False Claims About Dairy Farmsby Lori Robertson on October 30, 2020 at 10:45 pm
In Wisconsin, President Trump falsely claimed the state's dairy farms were "decimated" under the Obama/Biden administration but "now ... are doing very well," and he greatly overstated the potential impact of the new trade agreement with Canada and Mexico. The post Trump’s False Claims About Dairy Farms appeared first on FactCheck.org.
- Trump Spins ER Statistic to Claim U.S. Is in ‘Great Shape’ on COVID-19by Jessica McDonald on October 30, 2020 at 9:44 pm
President Trump has made the misleading boast that the U.S. is in "great shape" because 97% of emergency room visits were for something other than COVID-19. Trump could have boasted of similar percentages -- 93% to 96% -- during the worst periods of the pandemic. The post Trump Spins ER Statistic to Claim U.S. Is in ‘Great Shape’ on COVID-19 appeared first on FactCheck.org.
- Nothing Untoward About Counting Ballots After Election Dayby Eugene Kiely on October 29, 2020 at 10:16 pm
In recent days, President Donald Trump has repeatedly and baselessly suggested that counting mail-in ballots after Election Day will result in fraud. The post Nothing Untoward About Counting Ballots After Election Day appeared first on FactCheck.org.
- FactChecking Trump’s ‘Super V’ Recoveryby Brooks Jackson on October 29, 2020 at 9:31 pm
President Trump has been boasting for weeks of a "super V" economic recovery. But figures released today show an economy still far from fully recovered. The post FactChecking Trump’s ‘Super V’ Recovery appeared first on FactCheck.org.
- Revived Political Post Falsely Attributed, Again, to Clint Eastwoodby Bala Thenappan on October 29, 2020 at 7:59 pm
Facebook users falsely claim a post critical of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden was written by actor Clint Eastwood. A nearly identical post aimed at former President Barack Obama -- and also misattributed to Eastwood -- has circulated since 2013. The post Revived Political Post Falsely Attributed, Again, to Clint Eastwood appeared first on FactCheck.org.